Skip to main content

Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce Review




I am going to start off with the warning that Tamora Pierce is the writer I wish I could be which means this will not be an unbiased review. Because she is perfect and everything that comes from her is perfect.

That being said, some works of hers are more perfect than others. Like this one and I will proceed to tell you why in such a manner that I expect you to have purchased the book by the end of it so I'll just leave an amazon link here: https://amzn.to/2wD9hFq

Arram is the young and awkwardly brilliant main character of the book. He has stumbled his way into a series of incidents at his mage school that indicate powers that he is not completely comfortable with having and is consequently thrown in with two other prematurely successful students, Ozorne and Varice. My sister once described this book to me as Harry Potter if Malfoy had successfully befriended Harry. While amusing, this book is really so much more.

I have never read a book where I have gotten to know the main character better. Arram is so well voiced that I could not imagine that he wasn't real.

It has a gentle intensity about it as there are larger implications to those he naively observes balancing politics and justice in a tempestuous social climate. The masterful language is able to capture this young voice in such a way that is endearing rather than annoying. I even found myself dreading his coming of age and the maturing of the tone that would come with it. As the reader you understand that there are individuals that, while harmless now, have the makings for something threatening in the future and what scares him in the moment might eb good for him. It felt like reading a younger sibling's diary at times.

While sweet, there is an intensity about the book that keeps it gripping as he navigates meeting royalty and finding dead bodies.

In short, I love this book and highly recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Five Star Vampire Romance? I Didn't Believe It Either

If you had told me a while ago that I would be giving a vampire book five stars, I would have laughed in your face. There is a bit of a story behind how I came to read this wonderful novel and it starts with the rekindling of an old friendship. It had been years since I had seen my good friend Elliott and I was surprised to see a message from her on my Goodreads account. Of course, it was about books that I had read. We began talking and texting about our most recent reads and soon we were meeting up at our favorite local bookstores. The first time we met up, she handed me this book. I was doubtful and started to question every conversation we had in which I thought she had good taste. *Yes, I get judgmental about what books people like. I'm working on it. But, I also consider it extremely rude to not read a book received as a gift. It's like telling someone that you don't want a piece of their soul because you don't like the color of their shoes. I'm

Rage Against "The Sweet Girl"

Okay, I am not normally one to go off on a mad rant against anything, but I am completely horrified by the book Sweet Girl  by Annabel Lyon. I was browsing through the clearance section of my University's bookstore when I found it. The cover is beautiful and the main character is the daughter of Aristotle and the summary promised the beautiful tale of a young girl challenging gender roles. I love Aristotle, I love Greek history, and I love a book with a strong female lead and so I snatched it up for a what seemed like a bargain at the time. I will say, with the exception of a slightly forced voice and the use of the word "daddy" a few too many times, I enjoyed the beginning of the book. It was simple, it was a little complex with her scholarly and femine side at war with one another, and it seemed light. About a third of the way through the book the author began forcing everything. The book became edgy where it had no right to be edgy, there was no cohesion between ac