Skip to main content

Vengeance Road



I devoured this book! Why? Because it is paced extremely well and I actually cared about what happened in the end.

From the first word this book pulls you in as it describes the tragic scene of the murder of the main character’s father. The lead, Kate, is a hard character to get close to, but I guess that remains true to her tough gun-slinging cowgirl exterior. We meet her in a time of great distress and her thoughts tend towards narrow and feverish in her quest to avenge her father, hence the title.

The few supporting characters were likable and fit in with the landscape of the book. Jesse and Will were immediate favorites of mine as Kate fell into their unlikely hands. They felt like brothers and that is sometimes a hard relationship to portray (or maybe I am just picky because I have four of them!). Even the memories shared of characters such as her mother and father seem sincere.

My one complaint is more a matter of personal preference than true dislike and that is I have a hard time when a book is written in a strong and obvious character voice. Kate and her western style slang fits with the genre, the setting, and the character, but in a cartoon kind of way. There is also a little drama with the whole mom situation that made me sit back and think that the author had gone a bit too far, but overall these two quick complaints barely made a dent in my reading experience. I’m horrible in that, unless you are Mark Twain, I’m not going to like a narrator with a different way of talking.


I recommend this quick read to all those who love a strong female lead whose not afraid to shoot a man or two to get her way!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Darkness Shows the Stars ~Diana Peterfreund

I am so excited to share this book with you! In a quick one sentence descriptions: this book is Cinder meets Persuasion. In a world recovering from the effects of genetic modification gone wrong, the population is split between the Luddite nobility and the Reduced. The Reduced have a limited mental capacity which makes them perfect slaves, but that has been changing. Enter Kai (yes, I realize the name is the same from Cinder, but they came out around the same time and he is just as dreamy if not more) and Elliot, both from the two very separated classes, but united in their love for adventure. Their story plays out as an awesome feminist and unique retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. I love the original story, so I was wary of anyone messing with it, but I approve and am currently in the midst of the second book which a retelling of *drumroll please* THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL!!!!! One of my all time favorite books, musicals, and my go-to sick movie. I am enjoying it just...

"Rebel Belle"

I am not the kind of person who will reads the books synopsis before starting it. In order my priorities in choosing books are: 1. Author Style 2. Friend Recommendation 3. Popularity 4. Teacher Recommendation 5. Author 6. Cover 7. The Synopsis (always my last resort) Given my dislike for spoilers, I downloaded Rebel Belle  on my phone and finished listening to it in 2 days. I had no idea what to expect, but it certainly was words like "paladin" or "oracle" being calmly discussed in a classy southern drawl. I did not expect heels to become weapons or for me to be furious when an opportunity to break the enemy's neck is lost. I am not a violent person, and I do not like violent books. And while there was fighting, I was never disturbed by it. It is kind of like how the main character refuses to use the "F" word (which I much appreciated). There is an air of class thrown over the whole thing and you come out wondering if you want to move to the...

A Five Star Vampire Romance? I Didn't Believe It Either

If you had told me a while ago that I would be giving a vampire book five stars, I would have laughed in your face. There is a bit of a story behind how I came to read this wonderful novel and it starts with the rekindling of an old friendship. It had been years since I had seen my good friend Elliott and I was surprised to see a message from her on my Goodreads account. Of course, it was about books that I had read. We began talking and texting about our most recent reads and soon we were meeting up at our favorite local bookstores. The first time we met up, she handed me this book. I was doubtful and started to question every conversation we had in which I thought she had good taste. *Yes, I get judgmental about what books people like. I'm working on it. But, I also consider it extremely rude to not read a book received as a gift. It's like telling someone that you don't want a piece of their soul because you don't like the color of their shoes. I'm...